The Victim Advocate Program’s (VAP) client-centered, crisis intervention-based approach is the key to fostering a healing environment for victims of crime, witnesses of crime, and those experiencing other types of trauma and crisis. The VAP is a vital link to the community showing law enforcement’s support to crime victims and those affected by crisis by providing critical assistance and resources in times of tragedy. Our hope is that the information provided for local, state and federal resources available will help to make the victim experience less painful and less traumatic.
SUNCOASTASSIST.ORG has compiled a directory of the resources available to you in Sarasota County.
- Child Protection Center : The Child Protection Center has been serving Sarasota & DeSoto Counties since 1980, and remains committed to the prevention, intervention & treatment of child abuse.
- Office of the State Attorney 12th Judicial Circuit, Victims' Rights & Roles: The Office of the State Attorney, 12th Judicial Circuit represents the State of Florida in all criminal trials for crimes that occur in Sarasota, Manatee and DeSoto Counties.
- Safe Place and Rape Crisis Center : (SPARCC) state-certified center for domestic violence and sexual assault services for Sarasota and DeSoto C state-certified center for domestic violence and sexual assault services for Sarasota and DeSoto Counties that provides help, hope and healing with empowerment-based services and programs.
- Visit the Sarasota County Clerk of the Circuit Court and County Comptroller for information to include, but not limited to: Injunctions for Protection (Restraining Orders), Family Court, Criminal Court Services (to include ClerkNet which provides access to public court records), Evictions.
- Selah Freedom : Anti-sex trafficking organization in Sarasota
- United Way Suncoast 21: For information and support-for financial assistance, health programs, crisis support and more. Reaching out will get you connected to a multilingual 2-1-1 specialist in your area who can put you in touch with local organizations providing critical services to improve and save lives.
Florida Council Against Sexual Violence : The Florida Council Against Sexual Violence is a statewide nonprofit organization committed to victims and survivors of sexual violence and the sexual assault crisis programs that serve them.
Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence : Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence works towards ending violence through public awareness, policy development, and support for Florida's domestic violence centers.
Florida Department of Children and Families Abuse Hotline: The Florida Abuse Hotline accepts reports 24 hours a day and 7 days a week of known or suspected child abuse, neglect, or abandonment and reports of known or suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a vulnerable adult.
Office of the Attorney General, Bureau of Victim Compensation: Injured crime victims may be eligible for financial assistance for medical care, lost income, mental health services, funeral expenses and other out-of-pocket expenses directly related to the injury.
VINELink: Victim Information and Notification Everyday (VINE), is an anonymous, automated service that provides victims of crime and the public two important features: Information and Notification.
Federal Bureau of Investigations; Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3): The IC3 accepts online Internet crime complaints from either the actual victim or from a third party to the complainant.
The National Crime Victim Bar Association: Provides technical support to attorneys representing crime victims in civil actions, refers crime victims to lawyers in their local area, and works to increase general awareness about the availability of civil remedies for victims of crime.
National Office for Victim Assistance : The national leader in crime victim advocacy.
RAINN: RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement: Online Detainee Locator System
VictimConnect: The VictimConnect Resource Center is a referral helpline, through the National Center for Victims of Crime, where crime victims can learn about their rights and options confidentially and compassionately.
- Federal Trade Commission : The FTC works to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them.
- Federal Trade Commission – Identity Theft: The federal government’s one-stop resource for identity theft victims. The site provides streamlined checklists and sample letters to guide you through the recovery process.
- Fraud.org has helped millions of consumers protect themselves and loved ones against malicious scams.
Pawn Broker: If you are a victim of a theft and your property has been located in a pawnshop, please visit the following links for additional assistance to purchase back or obtain a court order to recover the property: